Q: Harsh shift - 2004 Toyota Camry

asked by on October 13, 2016

when I am slowing down to a light that changes not completely stopped and I lightly accelerate the transmission jumps or harsh shifts into gear? Other then that no issues, fluid is up and good condition good color

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. Modern automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive and diagnose the cause of the shifting problem.