Q: DTC Help Request

asked by on September 06, 2016

'02 Saturn Vue (V6/AWD/5 Spd AT). Scanned ECM, TCM, BCM, SDM & EPS for codes. One code found U1096 with Service Wrench light illuminated (Lost communication with IPC). IPC Connector resistance to ground (B4) is less than 1 ohm. IPC Connector voltage (B2) is 12.3 V. IPC functions as it should (Both while running and KOEO bulb check). Anyone seen this before?

You might have a problem with fretting corrosion in the connectors of the modules of the vehicle. There is a technical bulletin out for your Saturn VUE: 09-06-03-004D, dated December 2010 for corrosion in the small connector pins of the modules throughout the vehicle. The fix for this is to disconnect the battery. Then disconnect each module, including the ECM, TCM, BCM, SDM, EPS, and any other modules having issues then apply a thin coat of dielectric lube to the connector seals and each pin and socket. Once all are done and securely reconnected, reconnect the battery and retest systems. Clear any codes and road test to relearn the idle. If you need assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can further diagnose the trouble codes and help you fix this accordingly.