Q: hard starting

The problem has been going on for a year now. So far what I have found is that if I turn the ignition key 5-6 times and then crank it, 8 or 9 out of 10 times start in 2 seconds. Once started, works smooth, never stalls, and all works as it should. If I do not do the "switch-on ritual" it might take way too long to start. Also, once started, I can drive a few blocks and it might start on the first try, but if it doesn't, either I do the "ritual" or risk to spend some time trying to get it started. 4 mechanics have seen it, none has been able to find the problem. The scanner does not show relevant codes. So far, I have changed, the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, the knock sensor, the fuel pressure regulator. From the 2 crankshaft sensors, the one on the tranny side I was told is working fine. I suspect of the fuel filter but all the mechanics have told me it's not what causes this type of issue, apparently engine should not work fine if the filter is clogged. Or so they say. Thanks!

If manipulating the ignition key (switch) leads to eventual success in starting the car the first possibility to check is a defective ignition switch. The contacts in the switch do wear over time and thus you could have a situation where you are getting intermittent contact. Starters can also develop intermittent failures. If the switch and starter test OK, during an instance of this "no start", what you can do is, while the key is in the start position, trace the relevant circuits to see which are not getting power and why. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.