Q: gears not shifting in drive, only works in reverse and park, ABS and traction control ights are on

asked by on June 15, 2016

I just changed the transmission in my cadillac and realized it only stays in one gear. Parking and reverse work well, but when I start driving the car is real slow and the gears won't shift up or down. The ABS and traction control lights are on. I am not sure whats going on. I don't know if it's the computer, transmission or an electrical problem.

Many different things can cause the transmission to not be able to change gears. The most likely would be a transmission linkage problem, a shift solenoid, a bad position sensor, or a failing transmission. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting trouble and perform any repairs required.