Q: gears not shifting in drive, only works in reverse and park, ABS and traction control ights are on

I just changed the transmission in my cadillac and realized it only stays in one gear. Parking and reverse work well, but when I start driving the car is real slow and the gears won't shift up or down. The ABS and traction control lights are on. I am not sure whats going on. I don't know if it's the computer, transmission or an electrical problem.

Many different things can cause the transmission to not be able to change gears. The most likely would be a transmission linkage problem, a shift solenoid, a bad position sensor, or a failing transmission. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting trouble and perform any repairs required.

3. gears not shifting in drive, only works in reverse and park, ABS and traction control ights are on