Q: How do I use Four-Wheel Drive?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I use Four-Wheel Drive?

Four-wheel drive is one of the best ways to ensure safety and efficient vehicle operation in less than ideal conditions. Whether you’re driving on a gravel and dirt road , driving in inclement weather, or simply in tow, four-wheel drive will help you stay in control of your vehicle.

To activate four-wheel drive on your vehicle, find the transfer case shift lever located on the floor on the driver’s right side. Shift by pulling the lever to the position labeled with a symbol of two circles with four wheels attached. To shift back into two wheel drive, simply pull the lever to the position labelled with one circle with two wheels attached. Please note that a slight delay between shifting is normal.

You will also have the option to shift into a mode called Four Wheel Drive Low. Most people who drive in everyday conditions will never have to use this mode, as it is only recommended for off-road driving, driving in deep sand/mud/snow, and while driving of severely steep hills. This option will be labeled in text on your transfer case shift lever. You may shift to this position by simply pulling the lever to the labelled position. Please note that shifting slowly into this mode may make shifting more difficult.