Q: Steering issues, my car does not turn well

I bought a car from my cousins girl friend for 500 dollars and they said before i bought it that it would not turn too good and I do not know what to change the steering column or if the problem could be something else. Any information would be great thanks

A: The power steering system may have a leakin...

The power steering system may have a leaking return hose from the steering rack and pinion to the return reservoir. This leak can cause the power steering pump to suck in air into the steering system and cause noise and weak steering. The system should be tested by pressurizing the system to 8 psi and check for leaks in the return hose and any other leaks in the complete system for leaks. The return line should be replaced if it is leaking. If the power steering pump is still noisy then the pump may need to be replaced. Make sure to check the rack and pinion side bellows for evidence of fluids leaking out of the boots. This would mean the steering rack and pinion will need to be replaced. If you need assistance with this, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to you and diagnose your steering issue firsthand.