Q: Gear shift stuck, but car does start.

My car will start, but the gear shift won't move. I believe it might be the brake interlock system switch.

First of all, there is an emergency release button found on the right hand side of the shifter housing. This can be accessed by removing a trim panel. This will help you get your vehicle out of park. The root of the problem is likely broken wiring going to the shifter assembly, as this is a common problem with vehicles of the same year, make and model as yours. However, the problem could be in some other part of the shift interlock system, such as the brake switch or shift solenoid. A professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-hard-to-shift-inspection your vehicle and give you a definitive answer.