Q: The engine stopped working suddenly

The issue with my car started out of the blue. One day, I stopped the car and exited it for a short time. When I got back and tried to start it back up, it wouldn't. Everything in the car worked--the locks, doors, heater, windows and lights. The engine however, couldn't be turned on. I had no previous problems with the car and there was no warning before this. The engine became unresponsive. What could cause it to stop working so suddenly? Thank you in advance.

BMW has a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this. A faulty oil level sensor can cause this, as the power to this sensor is shared with the transmission range selection switch. If the transmission range selection switch loses power, the engine computer cannot verify that the transmission is in Park. Therefore, the starter will not be allowed to be engaged.

Another possibility is a problem with the EWS (immobilizer circuit) or with the ignition switch.

To begin diagnosis, you will want to have the fault codes read out of the engine computer and go from there. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and equipment to carry out a diagnosis of your no start issue and recommend the best path of repair.

3. The engine stopped working suddenly