Q: Gear shift indicator says the car is in drive

My gear shift lever is all the way forward, but the indicator shows it as being in drive, and I cannot move the gear shift lever. Additionally, I cannot start my car, even though the battery still works.

Hi there. There’s a retainer clip that adjusts the shift indicator in order to show what gear you’re in. A broken retainer clip will throw your adjustment off from showing the correct gear. This broken clip can also jam your shifter into place making it impossible for you to cycle through your gears. Because your vehicle is most likely not in the correct gear because of the broken linkage, it will not allow your vehicle to start. I would have a certified mechanic inspect your transmission and diagnose this issue in person.