Q: Gauges in car going on/off, plus hissing sound

Intermittently, all the gauges in my car started going on and off. There is also a hissing sound from the dash which is associated with the gauges. After about 15 seconds, the gauges do return to normal. Would the stepper motors have gone bad all at the same time? I do some repair work myself. What is the problem and what action should I take?

The wire harness connections to the modules have issues with the pins and sockets getting small amounts of corrosion or loose contact causing the problems you are having. The wire harness and connections would need to be checked and cleaned then each pin socket should be tested to see if it holds the pin tight or if it needs to be replaced. I’d recommend having a qualified mechanic check and diagnose the harness problems for you. They will also be able to pinpoint the hissing sound you’re hearing. Once the assessment is done an accurate repair can then be made.