Q: Gas stops pumping early

So this is the first time getting gas in this car because I just recently bought it. The old owner put regular fuel 87 in it and I want 93 premium. I was at 1/4 tank left and the pumped stoped at 2/4 could it be that there was a mix of the 87 and 93 octane that I put in? It could've also been that I had the fuel coming a little bit too fast.

Hi there. It is quite possible that your BMW has a problem with the EVAP system. The evaporation vent solenoid is an emissions system component that is commonly found on many road going vehicles. It is a part of the vehicle’s evaporative emissions system, which is designed to capture and recirculate evaporative emission from the fuel back into the engine bay. It is the job of the EVAP vent solenoid to allow air into the charcoal canister so that the EVAP system can pressurize and function properly. When the solenoid is opened, air is allowed into the EVAP system to relieve any pressure that may be present as a result of purging the EVAP system. However, I would recommend not going from 87 to 93 octane. This can have a negative impact on overall engine operation, as the ECU is used to running on 87. If you want to improve the quality of fuel, I recommend slowly beginning with 89. Give it a few months, then upgrade to 91 and stay there. Try this fuel method for a few weeks. If the problem of putting gas still exists after this, contact one of our mobile mechanics to inspect your car for a possible EVAP system component failure.

3. Gas stops pumping early