Q: Gas line stays on F when car is turned off

Yesterday 5/28, I filled my car up with gas and when I got home to cut my car off, the gas line stayed on F after the car was shut off. I cranked the car again and turned it off, but the line still stayed on the F mark.

A: I'm assuming the the gauge usually drop...

I'm assuming the the gauge usually drops down to "E" on this particular car. Some vehicles gauges stay in the last spot they were at when the key is on. Not as common now days. Key off gauge issues are rare, but if this is a gauge problem, I would tap on the top of the dash to see if maybe the gauge is just stuck. It does happen from time to time. Outside of that, I would drive the car for a 100 or so miles and see if the gauge eventually moves. If it doesn't, you know you have a problem for sure.

If you determine the gauge is stuck, the next thing I would do is connect a scanner to see if the sending unit in the fuel tank is reading less than full. If it is, you know its a gauge problem and not the sending unit. Of course, if after 100 miles the sender still shows full on the scanner, it a sending unit problem.

This of course is the typical diagnosis when the key is on. This is a key off problem that may or may not be a problem with the key on. If the gauge is stuck full after 100 miles, it is time for a technician to determine what has failed. In this case, it sounds like it will be the gauge, which is often an integrated part of the instrument cluster. It will need to be looked at in person with a scanner to accurately diagnose.

For now, I recommend seeing if the gauge moves as the fuel is used in the tank, and if the gauge is just stuck in its extreme full position, driving around may jar it loose. Good luck. If you want a second opinion on this, reach out to a certified mechanic who can diagnose this issue accurately and replace your fuel gauge sender if necessary.