Q: Engine knock in 1999 Chevy S-10

I have a 1999 Chevy S-10. When I first started one morning, I had a pretty good knock coming from the engine. Is there anything that could stop the knock and make the engine run a few more years?

A: Sad but true--those things had the engine p...

Sad but true--those things had the engine problems from the get-go. There used to be a website where people had class action suits for this car. They were suing GM, but I’ve noticed lately that the website’s gone. I don’t know, maybe GM sued them or something. But, those engines did have problems.

What you can try to do is change your oil and filter and put on Castrol GTX--it’s a heavy duty, really strong oil--and one quart of the Lucas oil additive. I’ve done that on some of them, and they quieted down quite a bit and they can still maybe last a few more years. I hope that it can, because the only other true fix is to rebuild the engine. On this old car, that’s more money than the vehicle is worth if you’ve need to put a new engine or do a serious overhaul.