Q: Fuel tank gauge registered inaccurately & repair did not work

The fuel tank gauge of our car registers inaccurately. I took the car to the dealer and he reset the computer, then told me that all was okay and I assumed that the problem had been solved. Usually, I fill up the tank when it is about ¼ or above. About 3 months later, the tank ran below ¼ and the gauge when up. Since it is obvious that the problem was not fixed, can you tell me what would solve this problem?

A: Hi. Thanks for writing in about your 2003 I...

Hi. Thanks for writing in about your 2003 Infiniti M45. Fuel level indicators may go bad if they become dry. Fuel level indicators are meant to stay wet. If the fuel level reaches a certain low, the fuel level indicator will become dry causing the sensor to become bad or uncalibrated in the process.

Keeping the fuel level above a quarter of a tank may cause the indicator to operate normally again. I’ve personally seen this happen on other vehicles before. If the fuel level does not read correctly after a few trips to the gas station, then it is likely that you will need a new fuel pump. The fuel pump and the fuel level indicator are built as one. If you do in fact need a fuel pump, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the problem and replace the fuel pump if necessary.