Q: Fuel gauge still reading as full after driving

I filled up my 2005 Hyundai Elantra the other day and have driven about 60 miles (100 KM). The fuel gauge is still reading at full though. I'm just wondering if there are any easy fixes that you can think it might be.

Thanks for your help!

Hello. There are not many things which can cause an erratic fuel gauge reading. They’re usually one of two things, the fuel gauge display itself as being faulty or a bad fuel gauge sending unit. I suggest that you drive the vehicle for about 20 more miles and if that doesn’t change the gauge position then you’ll likely have an issue with the fuel gauge in your instrument cluster or with the fuel level sending unit on your fuel pump. One of our technicians here at YourMechanic will be happy to help you diagnose your vehicle in person if the issue does not subside naturally.

3. Fuel gauge still reading as full after driving