Q: Q: Burning oil

Hello i have a mk4 golf and the car is burning so much oil. I use 10w40 oil type. Whats should i do?

Broadly, if oil consumption exceeds 1 quart for every 1,000 to 2,000 miles that’s when we start to refer to oil consumption as "excessive". Ideally, consumption should not exceed 1 quart in 4,000 miles or more. On your vehicle, before concluding that the engine needs to be rebuilt, of course check for any external leaks. In addition, you could be losing oil through the valve guide seals and/or a leaking turbo seal. Also, check to make sure the PCV system is operating properly. A clogged PCV system will increase oil consumption. Internal leaks, and PCV defects, are addressable without rebuilding the engine. If your oil consumption exceeds 1 quart in 1,000 miles, and you have repaired all internal and external leaks, the engine will have to be rebuilt which is not that big a deal and, once done, will restore your car to perfectly usable condition. If you would like a certified professional from YourMechanic to evaluate your oil consumption problem, please set up a diagnostic through them.

3. Q: Burning oil