Q: Fuel Gage

I have a 2000 GMC truck, when I start it my low fuel light is on and the gas gage shows empty. After I drive it a few miles the light goes off and the gas gage goes up. When I stop and put it in park the low fuel light comes back on. After I drive a little the light goes off. Oil pressure runs at 40 and below. What can it be?

Hi there. This is a problem likely related to your fuel tank sending unit. The fuel tank sending unit is a small float type component (or sensor) inside your fuel tank that measures the level of the fuel inside the tank. As the fuel level drops, this change is detected and relayed in the form of a signal to the car’s computer which then displays the reading on the fuel gauge in your dash.