Q: Front wheel rumbling/rattling noise at consistent speed, or when accelerating hard and letting off of gas...

asked by on July 20, 2017

As stated in the title, whenever I put cruise control on or go the same speed, after a few seconds I get a sound coming from the front right wheel that sounds like a rumbling/rattling sound. The mechanic told me it was definitely the wheel bearings. Well, I got them to replace the wheel bearings which left a nice dent in my pockets, and I still have the same problem. It seems like everywhere I look says it could be something a million other things. The only other time it makes the sound is when I accelerate hard and let off of the gas then it makes the sound very briefly. I'm hoping I can get this figured out online before I have to leave my only vehicle at a mechanics all day and dish out another $1,000...

If the sound is a bit of a clunking or clicking sound when accelerating hard, this may be related to bad CV joints. What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.