Q: Cranks great will not fire up - 1992 Mazda 929

I made the school run fine this morning. When I got back and turned the ignition off, I heard a whirring sound like something resetting or a power antenna retracting. Since it was the first time I'd heard that, I was kind of leery so disconnected the antenna wire which I had just connected the day before. Six hours later. I went to start it and it wouldn't start. It cranks just fine but it's like it isn't getting any juice to the spark plugs and therefore not even trying to start. I checked for loose wires and all liquid levels. I found nothing out of the ordinary. What could be keeping it from starting? The car normally runs great.

The antenna wire should not be connected to anything that would cause the car to not start, especially if it is getting power to crank. I would suggest checking to see if the spark plugs are getting fuel to them. Try pulling one of them out after cranking it to see if the plug is wet with fuel. If so, you know it is getting fuel. If not, then you may have an issue related to the fuel pump or injection system.

If you have access to a multi-meter, you can pull the spark plugs out to test them for spark by checking the resistance by connecting a lead to each end of it. If it has low resistance (i.e. less than 5 ohms), then it should be a good plug. If it is higher than that, it may be a bad plug and should be replaced. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting problem and complete the correct repairs.

3. Cranks great will not fire up - 1992 Mazda 929