I have a crack in my CV axle

I have a crack in my CV axle Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? Ford edge 2009 se Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far? I'm not just pric...

I have a crack in my CV axle Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? Ford edge 2009 se Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far? I'm not just pricing it or how long I can drive it with the crack

Automotive Expert
"Hi, I'm Roy. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily." You will see an option to receive a phone call prompted by the website, you can agree to or decline. If you do not wish to use the Phone Service, we can continue chatting this way back and forth until you are satisfied with my help. Who Am I speaking with today ?

Tuesday
Automotive Expert
Hi! Tuesday Hope I can help sorry to hear about your axle boot cracked , if just cracked and not noisy you can still drive the car A crack will just let some grease out it can go for a long time that way

But for how long n can I seal it?
Automotive Expert
You can get a new axle at auto zone for around $55.00It will not hurt to keep driving it if not noisy they can go a long time Just post back to me

Well it said crack in of CV axle tone ring
Automotive Expert
Okay I woulkd get a new axle at the auto parts store they are not real expensive

But can I still drive
Automotive Expert
are you getting any lights on your dash ?

Well I know my speed sensor is defective
Automotive Expert
Okay if the tone ring is bad it will set a speed sensor codes

I need a new speed sensor
Automotive Expert
if you have a code you could or the axles also if cracked

They said I need both
Automotive Expert
if cracked you might need both

Can u buy a speed sensor
Automotive Expert
yes you have one on each wheel
Automotive Expert
you can buy a axle and sensor

its best to buy one or can I wait 18 days
Automotive Expert
if the car is driving ok you can wait

Is a speed sensor expensive
Automotive Expert
around $40.00

That's cheaper than 900 dollars
Automotive Expert
that is you can get both parts less then 150.00

What about inner tire rod
Automotive Expert
that is another issue

Is that bad
Automotive Expert
dont know it will need to be checked

They said slight play
Automotive Expert
I would get a second opinion on that

Slight play in of inner tie rod
Automotive Expert
most of the time is the outer rod loose

Does that cost a lotTo fix
Automotive Expert
around 200.00

Oh noCan I still drive it
Automotive Expert
yes if you have a speed sensor code it might cause issues

Even if I change the speed and the axle
Automotive Expert
Just post back if you have more questions Thank you Roy!

Thank u Roy
Automotive Expert
change the axle and sensor you should be fine , your welcome have a great day Roy!

Thanks
Automotive Expert
Your welcome !