Q: Fobs replaced with new, but stopped working

My car’s old fobs broke or cracked so I sent to the dealership. They were able to replace them with a new key and fob and didn’t have to program it since he was able to use the old chips. For a week it worked fine, but then the remote sometimes wouldn’t work consistently. Sometimes the car wouldn’t start without manually activating the door locks a few times. After that the fob remotes completely stopped working. Could it be old batteries, lack of programming, or what do you suggest would solve this problem?

A: Hello. I believe the key fob chip is the pr...

Hello. I believe the key fob chip is the problem. Since the other parts on the key failed first, it is likely that the chip wasn't too far behind. Replacing the chip in the fob should fix your problem. I suggest taking the key back to the dealer. Inform them of the key fob issue you are having and that it was just fixed there not long ago. That should influence them to at least diagnose the car under warranty. Depending on what the fob needs, they may fix it under warranty, too being that they were the last to have worked on it.