Q: fluids

by mistake i put a small amount ( two tablespoons) of coolant into my power steering reserve. Will this effect the car? I have just had the power steering pump and hoses replaced less than a month ago?

A: Such a small amount of coolant may not comp...

Such a small amount of coolant may not completely damage the system, but you still do not want it in the power steering system. The power steering system uses a hydraulic fluid and engine coolant may cause the fluid to foam under running conditions and can potentially be a hazard while driving. Foamed fluid cannot stand up to the demands of the hot hydraulic fluid and may hinder the power steering assist.

As this is a safety concern, I will advise you to at least have the power steering system flushed with clean fluid to remove the contaminant. If you need some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to you and service your power steering fluid at your own convenience.