Q: Floor mat entrapped accelerator, increasing speed, and destroyed engine

My car’s mileage is 112,000. I was going about 35 mph and my car increased acceleration by itself. It wouldn’t slow down, even when I pressed on the brake pedal many, many times. The accelerator pedal was stuck and stayed that way. I shifted into neutral so that I could stop and my car coasted to the road’s side. I had it towed to the authorized dealership and was told that the accelerator pedal had been entrapped by the mat on my floorboard. A simple mat led to the complete damage of my engine because of the opened throttle defect. I haven’t had it repaired yet until I get more information. What is your diagnosis of this and any information that you could give to me would be appreciated.

A: Hello. I have seen this occur several times...

Hello. I have seen this occur several times on this particular model. Due to the design of the floor mat it comes loose and gets under the gas pedal which causes this to occur. This happens even more often with aftermarket floor mats. Once the floor mat is replaced it should also be secured to the floor to keep it from moving again.

If you'd like a fresh pair of eyes on this, feel free to enlist a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the vehicle and diagnose how the gas pedal got stuck in the first place.