Q: First gear in my transmission has a bad problem

The transmission in my 2007 Jeep Wrangler works fine except for its tendency to pop out of first gear. It is the strangest thing, there is no problem getting into or out of the gear. This vehicle has like 70,000 miles on it (a little under) and the other gears work fine. Is this something I should worry about?

The manual transmission on your Jeep Wrangler has one of two problems.

The shift boot may be getting in the way of the shifter, blocking it from going all the way into first. This could cause it to pop back out of gear.

If the boot is not the issue, the 1-2 synchronizer probably needs to be replaced. Jeep released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 21-001-10 dated 4/20/2010 that covers the details for checking the boot and replacing the synchronizer. The transmission would need to come out and be disassembled to replace the synchronizer.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your transmission and find out what is causing your shifter to pop out of gear.