Q: Feels like transmission slipping

My Honda feels like the transmission is slipping when you first accelerate from a dead start. But it’s not a normal slip. It feels like the rear wheels are hopping or jerking, and it shakes the entire car. As soon as I let off the gas it stops. If I ease on the gas it runs fine. The transmission fluid is full and looks good with no burning smell. The 4 wheel drive is disengaged. I am having a hard time determining whether it’s the transmission or the rear end causing the problem. My car is not used for off road driving or for pulling, so there is no damage from that. It has 76000 miles on it and both the transmission and differentials have been serviced within the past year. Do you have any ideas as to what the problem is? Thank you.

It sounds like you may have a problem with one of your rear CV axles on your 2002 Honda Passport. If one of the axles fails, this can cause the driver to feel some resistance as well as vibrations.

If the differential has a problem internally, this can also cause the issues you are having. I would first recommend having your CV axles inspected for damages to determine if replacement is required.

If the CV axles seem to be okay, I would then recommend having the rear differential disassembled and inspected for irregular wear that may be causing your problem.

The resolution for this issue could be anywhere from a CV axle replacement to a total differential rebuild. It is highly unlikely that the transmission is causing the issue you are experiencing based on your description. If you need help having this checked, a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration problem.