Q: Exhaust is very loud

asked by on February 09, 2016

My exhaust is very loud. I have not looked, but I suspect either my muffler or pipes are broken.

Yes the exhaust needs to be inspected. Cracked or rusted through exhaust pipes will cause a loud exhaust noise. Also, the muffler could be rusted out internally which will also increase exhaust noise. Loose heat shields are also prone to rattle against the exhaust and will change in sound and intensity with engine rpm’s. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who can not only inspect the exhaust noises, but recommend necessary repairs.