Q: Engine won't start

Hi. I own an Audi A5 2012 model. I went to turn on my car one day and the engine wouldn't start. I took it to the mechanic and he said I need to have the engine replaced. He also did a quick engine compression test but he said it failed and the engine failed to give any reading. What do you think the problem is and what is the best solution?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. This is a highly unlikely scenario in that if an engine completely failed a compression test and needed to be replaced, that there would not be any check engine lights or warnings prior to this. While there are a variety of reasons as to why the engine may not start, I would highly recommend getting a second opinion on this from a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. Your car needs a minimum amount of compression in order to run and for all cylinders to not have this means that there would have been either 1) a catastrophic event that happened in order for them all to fail or 2) a condition would have been present prior which would have caused them to slowly begin to fail which would have triggered a check engine light and caused the engine to run erratically.

3. Engine won't start