Q: Engine won't start

Hi. I own an Audi A5 2012 model. I went to turn on my car one day and the engine wouldn't start. I took it to the mechanic and he said I need to have the engine replaced. He also did a quick engine compression test but he said it failed and the engine failed to give any reading. What do you think the problem is and what is the best solution?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be hap...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide my insight. This is a highly unlikely scenario in that if an engine completely failed a compression test and needed to be replaced, that there would not be any check engine lights or warnings prior to this. While there are a variety of reasons as to why the engine may not start, I would highly recommend getting a second opinion on this from a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. Your car needs a minimum amount of compression in order to run and for all cylinders to not have this means that there would have been either 1) a catastrophic event that happened in order for them all to fail or 2) a condition would have been present prior which would have caused them to slowly begin to fail which would have triggered a check engine light and caused the engine to run erratically.