Q: Engine stalls when accelerating

Replaced carb, engine starts good, idles good, and revs fine when in park. I place transmission in drive and press gas pedal it will stall out. It is a new carb, send back to carb manufacturer and received it back and still same problem, I have all vacuum lines plugged except timing advance and PCV line, all emission controls are removed. It ran good till last carb started blowing black smoke and thought a new one would be better than remanufactured that was on there. Please any ideas Thanks Cliff

The carburetor on the engine may be at fault if it has plugged main jets. The engine does not need too much fuel to rev it up when in park. If you can put it in park and slowly accelerate gradually then the issue is not in the transmission. Try to do this and confirm if there is low fuel flow from the jets in the carburetor. Depending on the carburetor type I would recommend trying to look into the carburetor; rev it up from idle to full throttle and check if you can see the squirt of the accelerator pump and then the heavy spray from the main jets into the throat of the carburetor. If this looks okay then you may have a good carburetor and may have a transmission problem. If you’d like, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to perform an Engine hesitates during acceleration Inspection on your vehicle to help diagnose this issue and recommend repairs.

3. Engine stalls when accelerating