Engine shaking and slipping when going uphill with check-...

Q: Engine shaking and slipping when going uphill with check-engine light blinking

asked by on May 25, 2017

Hi, my car engine is shaking and losing power when going uphill, usually with a blinking check-engine light. This did not happen overnight, the vibrations came slowly in the past week but are happening frequently now. What is happening? I saw online that the main causes for this behavior are coil-on-plugs, fuel pump or filter and transmission, but would like to be sure to minimize repair cost. Thanks!

Hi there. When you have a blinking engine light coming on sporadically like you’ve indicated and and you’re experience symptoms exist, it’s is likely that an error code has been triggered in the ECU of your Volvo that will pinpoint the source of this issue. In most cases, shaking and vibrating like this is caused by the items you’ve listed above, but could also be a vacuum leak or fuel system component like mass air flow sensor being faulty. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an engine is vibrating inspection, so they can isolate the source of the issue, download those error codes and come up with a plan to fix your Volvo correctly.