Q: Engine makes a wooshing noise

My car has a stock engine and it's been noisy lately. The wooshing noise becomes noticeable when my turbo kicks in or when the RPM increases over 1800, upon releasing the gas pedal. It sounds as if there is some air being released inside of the engine.Is this a usual way the engine works or is it an issue?

Hello. This is a common problem on this vehicle. In some cases it is caused by one of the intake hoses coming loose but most of the time it is caused by a failure in the turbo bypass actuator. These are a common failure and cause this.

I usually start by checking the intake hoses first and then removing the actuator to see if it has a cracked diaphragm. If it does then it is bad. It may also be a bad turbo but that is not as common.

If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the sound from your engine and fix it accordingly.