Q: Engine makes a high purring sound and won't turn off when key is taken out.

asked by on July 15, 2017

For the past few weeks, my truck has had some very minor issues, but has run just fine. Yesterday on my way to work, the car failed to start the first two times I turned the key (as if the battery was dead), and finally it started the 3rd time. I was in gear, with my foot on the clutch, and the engine was making a high purring sound. After hearing this, I turned the car off (turned the key), but the engine did not turn off, and began to clunk. When I put the car into neutral, the clunking continued. When I put the car back into gear and took my foot off the clutch, the engine stopped, but then every few seconds it would oscillate and push the car a foot forwards. After having fits for about 15 minutes, smoke started coming from the bottom left side of the engine (as if you were looking into the hood). After doing the lurching thing for about a minute, the smoke died down and the engine died/turned all the way off. I have yet to turn the car on again. What should I do?

Hi there. What you are describing if often caused by multiple different mechanical system failures, ranging from an ignition system failure to a damaged ignition lock cylinder or electrical connection. Since you’re also experiencing issues with engine smoke, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection first, which will provide you with the right diagnosis of what’s wrong with the Toyota and the right repairs can be made.