Q: Dashboard lights come on suddenly

Hello. The dashboard in my car shows three lights illuminated that appear intermittently. These are VSC, check engine and TCS lights. The appear suddenly and at the same time and come off the same way. It is completely random as to when they would come on. There are no other issues with the vehicle. The car has a mileage of approximately 80,000 miles. Do you have any idea why these light come on? Thanks.

A: Hello. There are several reasons that might...

Hello. There are several reasons that might explain why these three warning lights are illuminated in your dashboard intermittently. It is very likely that a diagnostic trouble code has been stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It is also likely that a diagnostic trouble code has been stored in the vehicle stability control (VSC) system and the traction control system (TCS). These trouble codes will provide information about specific problem that may be present. It may be possible that the battery is low however, the battery light will usually come on as well to indicate this. It is also possible that the VSC system and TCS lights are illuminated simply because of the problem causing the check engine light to come on. It would be a good idea to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete a diagnose to determine why your check engine light is on. Our mechanics are mobile and can provide this diagnosis at your home or office.