Q: Engine light has come on, fans are coming on when vehicle has only been started for a few minuites and remain on

My vehicle has recently been in the garage for repair work on something to do with a coolant leak, unsure what the problem turned out to be in the end, but £140 later I'm back to square one again as the engine management light has come on along with the fans coming on after a few minuites of driving and remaining on for 5/10 mins after the engine is turned off. Any idea what the problem could be?

With the previous work that was done recently, it is very likely the problem is that coolant leak. If its not the leak repair that has failed, it may be an additional leak.

Have you checked the level of the coolant to see if you need more already? If you do, you need to have that leak repair verified. If its holding, and you have lost coolant, you have another leak. If the coolant level is the same, you may have a thermostat issue.

The fans coming on is a huge sign that the engine is overheating. Does the dashboard read that the engine is hot? Keep in mind that thermostats in your vehicle are designed to read coolant temperature.

If the coolant is too low and the thermostat is reading air, your dashboard will not read correctly. Look to your owners manual for further information on your specific vehicle’s cooling system.

3. Engine light has come on, fans are coming on when vehicle has only been started for a few minuites and remain on