Q: Engine knocks and stalls

My engine knocks, and the car won't drive more than a couple of feet without stalling. It also stalls while driving. Mechanic says it's a bad cam shaft and one of the pistons and rings needed to be replaced. There was metal on the oil stick also.

If the engine is knocking and performing poorly I would recommend you stop driving it and have it inspected and diagnosed by a knowledgable technician to diagnose your knocking and stalling issue. From the description you have provided, it seems very possible that the engine has possibly suffered mechanical damage, which may require major repairs.