Q: Engine is spitting and sputtering at startup and wont accelerate

over the course of 6 months my elantra has had an issue at random times. It has happened about 5 times over last 6 months. It will run fine all day then randomly (on hot or cold start) will spit and sputter and run about 100-300rpms. try to give it gas and it will die. no check engine light comes on during this. After adding fuel additive to elimnate water it will run just fine. fuel tank has been at different levels each time ranging from half to tenth of a tank. add the fuel additive and it will run fine after about 3 minuets being in the system.

A: Hi there: When you use an additive to clea...

Hi there:

When you use an additive to clear up a problem and it works, it's typically an indication of a dirty fuel injector or throttle body issue as opposed to other mechanical component issues. An additive has cleaning chemicals that helps to remove deposits trapped inside these parts; however as the additive thins out, the clogging of carbon continues. I'd recommend having a mobile mechanic clean your throttle body and fuel injectors to start with; and see if this issue goes away, before you spend money on potentially expensive repairs.