Q: Engine is missing and gauges are not working properly

The engine misses in varying levels. Goes from running smoothly to barely running. One time you start it it's fine the next it's horrible. The gauges act the same way. Mainly the tachometer, oil gauges. Was wondering if the computer could be bad . I checked electronic connections and the coils. Everything okay. The only code it reads is low engine temp.

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, concerning your vehicle misses at varying levels, running smooth to barely running, and tachometer and oil gauges erratic, may not be related. Assuming, the code for low engine temperature is a P0128, this could be a stuck open thermostat and should be corrected. The intermittent misfires should be recognized by the PCM (powertrain control module)/computer and set P0300-P0306 codes. The PCM could be faulty. Typically, the PCM is a rare failure. It could be, fuel delivery issue, such as a faulty fuel pump. It could be, an intermittent CKP (crankshaft position sensor). The IPC (instrument panel cluster) erratic gauge(s) is a common problem with GM vehicles. The motors driving the gauge(s) commonly fail and sometimes poor connections in the IPC circuit board are the reason for erratic gauges. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine misfire and erratic gauges be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.