Q: Engine idling

When I'm driving high speeds on the highway, my engine idles every now and then. A friend suggested that I get some dry gas and that solved the problem for a while. My dealership wants to replace the IAC, but my friend says it could be cleaned instead - much less money spent that way. Is that true?

A: I would try to have the idle air control va...

I would try to have the idle air control valve cleaned first. Then if that does not work then have it replaced. You may save some money. Whether you decide to clean it or replace it, have the throttle body cleaned out. Getting the carbon cleaned out will affect the idle. If you need help with this, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s idling issue, and make the necessary repairs for you.