Q: Engine flooding with fuel

I had an exhaust leak on the drivers side. I went to replace the gasket and found two broken bolts. Slightly boogered one hole while removing the broken bolt. This caused me to remove the head to fix the bolt hole. I ended up pulling both heads to replace the head gaskets on both sides and replacing a o-rings and gaskets. I replaced the stock headers with tubed shorty headers. I gasket matched the exhaust ports on both heads. Put new spark plugs in due to mileage. I reassembled the engine, followed all torquing procedures. To remove the passenger side head I had to disconnect the wiring harness from the ECM. I had the battery completely disconnected during this removal. Started the truck and it ran ruff, code 300, miss fire like crazy. I could smell the fuel in the exhaust. Pulled the spark plugs and could smell the raw fuel. Brand new plug were wet and carbon burned. Truck ran for maybe 30 to 45 seconds. The truck reaks like fuel.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, your vehicle’s exhaust leak on the driver’s side has caused several issues for you. Assuming you have followed procedure in replacing your engine’s head gaskets and all is correctly reassembled, it could be a leaking (stuck open) fuel injector(s) dumping fuel into the cylinder(s). It also could be excessive fuel pressure caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator which, I believe, on this model, is part of the fuel pump assembly. In either case, a fuel pressure test could confirm the fault. It could be other component(s) that have failed and may be identified by accessing the computer for parameter information. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine flooded with fuel and misfires like crazy be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.