Q: Engine check light on and cruise control not working, but speedometer works

Engine check light on and cruise control not working, but speedometer works. P0717 is the error code I got, my question is: if the sensor is bad then the speedometer also should not work. What else could be the problem?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Usually the P0717 OBD-II error code is associated with a speed sensor problem inside the transmission. This part helps to monitor the cruise control along with the speedometer. If the sensor is damaged or has a loose fitting wire harness, it will disable the cruise control first as a safety measure; but allow the speedometer to work in many cases. The best way to know for sure is to contact one of our mechanics to replace your speed sensor, or inspect the vehicle for cruise control issues.

• Engine check light on and cruise control not working, but speedometer works