Q: intermittent screeching coming from front right passenger wheel when accelerating above 20mph.

asked by on July 18, 2016

A few days ago i heard a loud screeching coming from my front right wheel. This screeching only happened at speeds above 20mph. Everything wheel related is fairly new. Rotors and brake job almost a full year ago. Wheel bearing changed almost a year ago. So my first thought was the calipers seizing up, I changed both front calipers and sure enough the loud screeching came back. Now before any of this happened i started noticing that when i braked, there would be vibration coming from the brakes and i could feel it in the steering wheel. Kind of like doubled down a lot when i braked, especially stopping from high speed. Sometimes the ABS light would show sometimes as well. With this information i can only conclude that it has something to do with a warped rotor as seeing the brake pads when i changed them still had life in them. Could it be a warped rotor causing this screeching.

To be safe, check to make sure that you are not having a problem with the engine belt slipping and causing the squealing noise. Also, make sure the metal backing plate behind the rotor is not too close and rubbing against it. The warped rotors should be replaced with new pads only. Do not use the old pads as the noise can be linked to the pads. Personally I’ve seen pads and rotors not seat properly and squeal loudly. I’d suggest getting your car looked at by a certified technician to diagnose the source of the sound firsthand and make the necessary repairs.