Q: Right hand turn signal

All of my outside lights on my car work except for my right hand turn signal. It will turn on my front headlights! I measured the voltages of the 2 front turn signal sockets, and I get 2v when it’s switched to on and 0v when off. The left hand turn signal socket gives 12v when it’s switched to on and 4v when off. The 4v was constantly present whether it’s the turn signal switch activated or if the key is in the ignition. I took out my steering wheel and all the wiring is in good condition. Could I have a bad body control module? I am also having a problem with my battery. When the car isn't being used it goes dead in 2 weeks ~10v resting voltage. There had been some changes in the battery voltage. I have monitored it daily and noticed that in a 48 hour period it will drop from fully charged 12.7v down to 12.3v. Maybe it’s a bad BCM draining the battery. Do you have any thought or ideas on my problems?

A: Hello there. Thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there. Thanks for writing in about your 98 Jaguar Varden Plas. This type of fault is called a parasitic drain. When the turn signals will not operate properly and the vehicle has a drain, there may be a larger issue going on. The most common cause of the turn light not operating would be a bulb socket, wiring fault, shorted circuit or turn signal housing. In order to have this appropriately addressed, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your turn signal problem and make the correct repairs.