Q: Engine does not start after fueling

Hi, I have a weird problem recently with my Mercedes B200 / 2006 – after fueling the tank the engine does not start for 60 min. It cranks but the engine doesn’t start. Also the fuel pump is working one can hear it. After 60 min it is all good the engine start normally and the car is running well until next fueling. No matter how much fuel I add 1 litter or a few drops, regardless how slow I add fuel the result is the same – engine won’t start for 60 minutes. I even tried last night adding fuel while the engine was working and there was no interruption and no problem. The problem is when I add fuel in the tank at the gas station with the engine off. Any suggestion or advise is appreciated. Thanks. Stan

Hi There, It sounds like your car’s evaporative emissions system may have some problems. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere as you are fueling your car and while the fuel just sits in the tank. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. When this is not working properly, you may experience the gas pump shutting off prematurely causing it to take a very long time to fill up your fuel tank. This is due to the excess fuel vapor that is present when the purge solenoid is not working properly by releasing these vapors. The gas pumps at the fuel station have automatic sensors on them (for safety reasons) that shut off automatically when too much fuel vapor is present. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to take a look at your car to diagnose your EVAP purge solenoid.

3. Engine does not start after fueling