Q: Engine cranks but won't start. 2002 Ford F150

asked by on November 26, 2016

Occasionally engine cranks but won't start. Getting worse. I had fuel pump relay checked and it was good. Purchased a new one anyway. Checked fuel pressure once it started. It was 32 psi. Lost less than 5% when shut off. Replaced fuel pump. Still having same problem. Not getting any codes related to fuel system but I don't always hear the relay or pump engage when I turn ignition switch on. Sometimes it takes 5 to 6 times before I hear it and it will start. Beginning to think it's the computer/module. When driving it runs fine and never dies. Have this problem only when I shut engine off. I have gotten a p0174 code and have fixed everything related to that but it'll come on sometimes within 10 miles and sometimes after 300 miles after clearing code. Please help. Driving me nuts and I can't afford a new vehicle payment.

Hello - the lack of consistent fuel pump startup is, to me, telling. I would re-check fuel pump relay and wiring again , including the pump ground wire, for good connections and consistent power to the pump. And, I would also replace the power relay for the Power Control Module (it’s next to the fuel pump relay I believe). If the "no start" continues, check for spark at the plugs to be sure there is no ignition issue. I would recommend an inspection of the fuel and ignition system by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.