Q: Engine and radiator dash lights

I have a 2003 Cadillac DeVille North star v8 4.6l and the service engine soon light won't go off. My engine start and runs fine but smoke was coming from the middle of the engine for about 20 seconds. What could be wrong? The check coolant level comes up on my dash but my resvouir is full. Idk what could be wrong, also there sometimes a rough start in the morning.

A: Hello. With the check engine and cooling sy...

Hello. With the check engine and cooling system light both being illuminated, the first step you need to take is to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This can be done by most technicians, and can also be done at most local automotive parts stores. The light continuing to stay on is because the issue has not been fixed yet. But the good thing is whatever is wrong is very likely related to the code, which will make diagnostics that much easier. If the coolant is full but not flowing through the system due to a clog, bad water pump, or bad thermostat, then the light will also illuminate. The light is generic telling you the vehicle is experiencing and issue. If the vehicle is running well, the issue may be electrical. Have the vehicle scanned, and continue diagnosis from there.