Q: Emission and Suspension

Emission: I had a catalytic fail code P0430 My mechanic put some type of cleanser in the tank and turned off the code approx 3-months ago. I would like to know exactly what the cleanser did to the CAT and if it is a temporary fix so I can be prepared if I need to purchase a CAT.>

Suspension: I would also like to address another problem. My back end wobbles from side to side when I hit a bump I have had it check for sway-bar, shocks, and was told I did not need them. I also put new tires on the car and had a 4-wheel alignment which seems to have made it a little worse. Can you tell me if there is something else I could have checked?

Thank you for your help

Hello. To address the converter, there is no cure for a failing converter. In many cases, these cleaners will clean out some of the build up in the converter but definitely not all of it. You will end up needing to purchase one over time.

As for how long that will be, it is hard to tell. As for the rear end, the most common cause of this is bad struts. The rear struts will fail causing the rear suspension to sway back and forth due to the coil springs not being under control. If the rest of the bushings look fine then this is the problem. If you want to have your catalytic converter and struts replaced, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to perform these services.