Q: electrical keeps dying like a dead battery when driving but is restored with time.

the truck starts fine but the starter sounds a little weak but never had to turn for more than 1/2 a second to get it to turn over and ignite properly.

when driving the electrical slowly dies off one system at a time, which would normally indicate a bad alternator and that the truck is running off the battery.

however after the truck sits for about 4-24 hours, it will start back up with no issues, and go a few miles before electrical systems start dying off again. None of the instrumentation except for the voltage gauge works since the first failure.

battery is about a year old, alternator is the original. I am a industrial automation technician/electrician. I can do electrical testing if requested But i am unfamilar with automotive concepts. i do feel qualified to pull and test both the battery and/or alternator if requested. But seeing as how none of the gauges work and the battery recharges itself magically I'm thinking this might be a body control module issue or something.

Hello there, many common faults can cause issues with your 1999 Chevrolet Truck. Without knowing the model and engine I can only over general advice on this issue. The first place to start with any charging system issue is to load test the battery to ensure it is in good condition. After the battery is load tested the alternator is load tested to ensure that it has the proper output. There are other potential issues if the battery or alternator is not the cause such as a intermittent wiring issue, voltage regulator, poor electrical issue, or a failing battery cable. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your charging system and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

3. electrical keeps dying like a dead battery when driving but is restored with time.