Q: Electrical issue

My minivan has had some problems since we put a new battery in. Some mornings it starts fine, other mornings it will turn over and then the engine will die and all electronics go out. This includes the icons on the dash, my wipers, lights, blinkers, hazards, everything. Sometimes the power will flicker off and on, other times it just dies completely. After pulling the key out and trying again, it sometimes will happen several times in a row. I have yet to get it to not start after the fourth or fifth try at max. I haven't really noticed a pattern, except I think it might be worse when it is cold, as lately it has been warmer and the van has been better at starting.

Another symptom is that sometimes while driving it will turn off, exactly as described above. Everything just quits. It has only happened when going slow, like after stopping at a stop sign, or on roads with 30mph limits. But I don't want this to happen on the freeway or leave us stranded somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle is likely having issues with its battery cables. This should at least be the first thing you check. If there is a poor terminal or ground connection then you will lose all power to the vehicle. Check both the positive and negative battery cables to make sure they are clean, dry, tight, and free from corrosion. Clean them and tighten them just to make sure if you are skeptical. If they are in good condition then turn your attention to the battery’s ground connection. This will be on the side closest to the engine bay wall and frame. Make sure it too is clean, dry, and tight. If the problem persists, further electrical testing will need to be done. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department.