Q: EGR valve stuck closed in 1988 F-150

I have a 1988 F150 5-liter. It runs for a couple of minutes and then it dies. I have codes for the throttle position sensor--EGR valve stuck closed. It's not in the truck and I plug the TPS and it bugged. Is there any way to test the EGR valve?

A: Although it says the EGR valve is stuck clo...

Although it says the EGR valve is stuck closed, that’s not going to make the car stall. You would get more nitrous oxides in the catalytic converter fluid. So, it doesn’t affect that. The EGR valve problem is not the one that is making it die. The throttle position sensor can easily make it go bad.

I would say just change the throttle position sensor. That would be the first thing I do. But, when cars die, there are a lot of reasons why they can die. Check out my video "how to fix a car that idles poorly" and also check for the vacuum leaks in the engine. If you have a vacuum leak, that’s going to make a car die, too.

If you want to have this looked at by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to check your EGR valve and diagnose your car’s stalling issue.