Q: Ebrake issues

Well there will be time when I park my civic up by my garage and I leave the next morning to run errand. That after I release the ebrake the car would stay in ebrake even though the light went off. Also the car is park on a hill and it doesn't move forward even though the ebrake is off. What's causing this?

A: Hello. This can occur for a few different r...

Hello. This can occur for a few different reasons. The most common being that the parking brake cables are not releasing. Commonly the cable gets some corrosion built up on it which causes it to not move smoothly. When this occurs the cable will remain tight keeping the parking brake applied. I typically check the movement of the cables while I have an assistant apply and release the parking brake. If any binding is found, then I would replace the cables.

It can also be caused by one of the rear calipers failing and not releasing. The rear brake calipers work like a lever and apply the brakes when the parking brake is applied. If the internal lever does not release then this will occur. I usually disconnect the parking brake from the caliper to see if it releases. If it stays applied then I know it is a caliper.

If this is something that you plan on having repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your parking brake and make the proper repairs.