Q: Drove car to repair shop, two months later still not fixed.

Was going up hill, car was smoking and smelling like gas. Took the car to where I purchased it from. Tells me the gas is leaking. Next day it was fuel injectors and he changed them from a van he had on premises. Two days later he tells me whoever did my tuneup laid the wires on a hot tube and wires burnt. He tried to retape the wires and car won't start. Diagnostic won't read so he thinks it is the computer. Gives me a choice of dealership or cheaper place that will fix computer and coded it so all he has to so is put computer back. Three weeks later (mind you he will not contact me. I have to pop up or call him to see if computer came in), put the computer in, car will start but nothing else works. Windows, air, heat, how much gas or how fast car is going. Now he tells me that he has to take it to dealership but they don't have the disk to code the computer he just got back. I called dealership which said he never took van there but might have spoken to someone else. What can I do?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to offer my insight.

It sounds like you are getting the run around for this problem. I would advise to have someone else take a look at this van and see what is going on. From my experience with Dodge Caravans, the wiring that runs along the back side of the engine tend to melt, causing all sorts of electrical shorts. If they replaced the computer then it may not have been the correct one for the car and may need some programming. It will take an experienced technician to fully diagnose and repair this van.

If you would like help with a thorough inspection of your electrical components, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your van for you to diagnose present issues, and make any repairs as needed. We can also perform a 75-point safety inspection.